Saturday, 26 April 2014
PEOPLE DRINK FOR VARIOUS REASONS;
1. To celebrate
2. To be social
4. To be adult
5. To escape from reality
6. For medical purposes
7. In religious ceremonies
THE EFFECTS OF ALCOHOL ON THE BODY
1. The heart ; alcohol increases the blood pressure and the heart rate.
2. The nervous system ; alcohol acts as a depressant
3. The liver ; alcohol passes through the liver and over time the liver becomes diseased and cannot fucntion.
4. The stomach ; Small amounts of alcohol may help digestion but large amounts cause vomitting.
5. The skin ; alcohol causes the skin to loose heat.
6. The brain ; alcohol affects the way people speak, think and behave. The brain becomes damaged after years of alcohol abuse producing disorders.
7. Body weight; alcohol consists of empty calories. It increases body weight without providing nutrition.
8. Heavy drinkers have three times the risk of cancer of the mouth and the risk of dying from chronic liver diseases than non drinkers.
EFFECTS OF ALCOHOL ON THE SOCIETY
1. Thousands of alcohol related deaths happen every year.
2. Thousands of working days are lost due to alcoholism every year.
3. People who are alcoholics are more likely to be unemployed.
4. Most murder cases had the murderer drinking at the time of the offence.
5. Many car accidents are caused by drivers who had been drinking.
6. Drinking can cause family fights, divorce, child and wife beating, poverty and violence in the streets.
Is it possible to convince someone who drinks to quit drinking because of the numerous disadvantages? Please comment.