A miscarriage is when the fetus is lost in the first 20 weeks of pregnancy. 80% of miscarriages happen before the 20th week of pregnancy. If a woman miscarries after the pregnancy has passed 20 weeks is called late miscarriage. Most cases of miscarriages are due to the fact that the fetus has not formed properly and nature is getting rid of it. Miscarriages could also follow after a severe or viral infection or because of some abnormality of the uterus particularly a cervix which is incompetent.
SIGNS OF AN IMPENDING MISCARRIAGE
1. Slight irregular spotting of blood
2. Discharge of blood from the vagina that looks like menstruation
3. The bleeding may be followed by slight cramping pains that resemble period pain.
4. The woman may expel pieces of tissues.
CAUSES OF MISCARRIAGE
1.Infections especially viral ones.
2. Hormonal problems
3. Uterine abnormalities
4. Incompetent cervix
5. Life style-smoking, drinking or use of illegal drugs
6. Uncontrolled Diabetes
7. Severe malnutrition
A woman who has suffered a miscarriage should not blame herself by feeling that the miscarriage happened because of something she did or did not do.Rather she should know that it is because the embryo did not form properly due to chromosonal defects. Moreover, she still has chances of having healthy babies.