Saturday, 5 April 2014
Obesity is a condition whereby body fat has accumulated to the point where it may have negative effects on a person's health.
CAUSES OF OBESITY
1. Eating too much but not burning off the energy through exercise and physical activities.
2. Drinking too much alcohol and alcohol contains a lot of calories.
3. Depression-Some people eat a lot when they are depressed or having low self esteem
4. Lack of physical exercise
5. The genes-Obesity sometimes run in families.
6. Medication- Certain medications make people put on weight. An example is antidepressants which contributes to weight gain.
9. Oral contraceptives- Weight gain is one of the side effects of taking the pills.
RECOMMENDATIONS FOR AVOIDING OBESITY
1. Eat regularly to avoid overeating or binge eating.
2.Avoid crash diets and fast weight loss.
3. Do simple exercises that you enjoy.
4. Always eat a well balanced diet.
5. Reduce the amount of time you spend in the kitchen or around food.
6. Eat with family or people you live with.
7. Eat less fat- Reduce your intake of fast foods like cakes, chocolate, chips etc. Reduce the amount of fat you take by eating low fat dairy products , cutting the fat off meat or chicken and reducing the amount of iol you take.
8. Eat only for your nutritional needs and not because you are depressed or having low self esteem.