The reason for this could be emotional problems, poor habits that keep you awake or it could be for medical reasons.
From time to time, we may experience inability to sleep. This is normal and a temporary situation which may have been triggered off by stress,excessive intake of coffee etc. But a situation where inability to sleep becomes a regular occurrence that interferes with our everyday life, it is a sleep disorder.
The importance of sleep to the human body cannot be over emphasized. .This is because;
1. Lack of sleep or inadequate sleep can slow down your metabolism thereby making you add unnecessary weight.
2. Lack of concentration during the day could be traced back to not having a good night's sleep.
3. We make better quality decisions after a good night's sleep
4. We look healthier and more attractive after a good night's rest.
5. A good night's sleep put's us in a good mood and makes us live longer.
6. Sleep improves our memory and ensures that we don't fall sick often.
KEYS TO HELP YOU HAVE QUALITY SLEEP.
1. Avoid or reduce dozing during the day.
2. Avoid stimulants such as tea or coffee late in the evening
3. Taking alcohol late in the evening may act like a sedative but you wake up too early.
4. Take a glass of warm milk to help you relax.
5. Deal with the challenges you encounter during the day so that you don't carry them to bed.
6. Take one hour before bed time to calm yourself and relax.
7. Treat the cause of the insomania.
CONSEQUENCES OF LACK OF SLEEP
1. Lack of energy
3. Poor memory
4. Poor concentration
5. Low self esteem.
7. Heart disease
8. Type 2 Diabetes especially in women.
The important thing is to find out what caused the lack of sleep and correct it. A sleep difficulty that lasts more than one week requires a visit to the doctor.