Tuesday, 3 February 2015
" AN APPLE A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY."
The above statement is an old saying which goes to show the importance of apples in our diet in order to maintain good health. Because of the importance of apples to our health and well- being, It is also called the miracle” food”. Apples are delicious, juicy, sweet and crunchy.
Apples are the most cultivated fruit in the world. It is one of nature’s most useful and nutritious fruits. Daily consumption of apple can prevent as well as correct many health conditions, hence the above statement. Apples contain a lot of vitamins and minerals concentrated mainly in the peel. It is good to slowly and thoroughly chew the apple including the peel in order to obtain its maximal benefits. Apples contain carbohydrate, protein, phosphorus, calcium, potassium, iron, vitamins A, B, B2, and C. It also contains Niacin, malic, citric and salicylic.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF CONSUMING APPLES
· Apple is an excellent infectant for the stomach and intestine. It has ability to absorb toxins produced inside the intestine.
· It is fat, sodium and cholesterol free.
· When thoroughly chewed, the acid content kills germs present in the mouth. It contains a mouth cleansing property which no other fruit possesses. It preserves the teeth.
· It regulates blood sugar.
· It is good for heart health because of its high potassium and phosphorous content. This helps to alleviate heart diseases through healthy regulation of blood fat levels.
· Because apple is very rich in vegetable and dietary fiber, it enhances food digestion and aids bowel movement. It is very useful in treating constipation problems.
· Apples protect us from cardiovascular diseases. It has a low sodium content and it is good for people with high blood pressure. It also ensures increased passage of urine which in turn helps to bring down the blood pressure.
· Arthritis patients whose condition is as a result of uric acid poisoning will get relieve from eating apples because the malic acid contained in apples neutralizes the uric acid.