Wednesday, 18 March 2015
CAN YOU ACHIEVE WEIGHT LOSS THROUGH DIETING?
Many people crave to lose weight for different reasons. It could be for medical reasons, to look younger, to appear fitter, or generally to look good. Some try to achieve this weight loss through different means, for example, exercising, weight loss pills, skipping meals, or going on a diet. Of all these means, is dieting an effective and healthy way of losing weight?
Weight loss can be defined as a decrease in body weight through either voluntary means like dieting and exercise, or through involuntary means such as illness.
When your body burns up more energy than what you take in, you are bound to lose weight. Having said that, what does it mean to diet? A diet could mean taking foods that are low in calories. Dieting could also mean a situation where someone eats less food or particular kinds of food with the intention of losing weight.
It has been argued whether weight loss can really be achieved through dieting. Many people believe that dieting has many health disadvantages and that someone may end up adding weight in the long run instead of losing weight. Here are some of the arguments raised against dieting.
· Dieting doesn’t work in the long run because they leave us feeling starved and cranky.
· It is believed that dieting actually causes some people to gain weight.
· Dieting makes us to be preoccupied with food and therefore binge eat.
· It is linked with eating disorders.
· The body views dieting as a form of starvation.
· It slows down metabolism.
· Your craving for food escalates.
Considering the above disadvantages of dieting, how then can weight loss be achieved?
TIPS ON HOW TO ACHIEVE WEIGHT LOSS
· Regular exercise makes you feel stronger, more energetic, and in better overall health. As a bonus, regular exercise makes maintaining a healthy weight a little easier.
· Exercise helps build your lean muscle mass when you are losing weight. One of the biggest problems with dieting is that if you don’t exercise while dieting, you will lose both fat and lean muscle mass. Dieters often suffer from weakness and low energy. If you are trying to lose weight, include a regular exercise programme.
· Never go hungry. Skipping meals is not a good way to lose weight. Going hungry can make you more likely to overeat later. Take time to savour your food and relax during meals.
· Focus on reducing fat, not calories. Eat a variety of nutritious, low- fat foods. Rather than counting calories, focus on eating more fruits and vegetables and less fat.
· Get help from friends. The food habits of friends and family affect what we eat. Ask friends and family to help you by celebrating events with a variety of nutritious foods and activities that ever one can enjoy, as well as join you in a walk, swim or other enjoyable activity.
· Help yourself to good thoughts. Develop a positive attitude about yourself. Think of yourself as healthy and take pride in making positive nutrition and exercise choices.
· Fruits and vegetables are key elements of good basic nutrition. They contain lots of fiber especially when eaten raw.
· Choose a diet with plenty of grain products, vegetables and fruits.
· Choose a diet low in fat, saturated fat and cholesterol.
· Choose a diet moderate in sugars.
· Choose a diet moderate in salt and sodium.
· Reduce your intake of alcoholic beverages. Alcohol is high in calories and has no nutrients.
Eating healthy, low- fat foods and adding regular physical activity to your life can help you lose weight and establish some good health habits that you can maintain for life.