The mustard is one of the most popular spices traded in the world today. It can be traced to different areas of Europe and Asia, but the white variety is found in the eastern mediterranean regions.
The mustard seed is an excellent source of selenium and also a very good source of omega-3 fatty acids and maanganese.They are a good source of phosphorus, magnesium, copper, and vitamin B1
Their are three main types of the mustard seed.The white mustard is slightly larger than the other two, light and straw yellow coloured. The black mustard is sharp and is commonly found in south Asia. Brown mustards are found in the sub- himalayan plains of northern india.
Mustard seeds are very rich in phyto-nutrients, minerals, vitamins and anti-oxidants.They are rich in calories, quality proteins, essential oils, as well as dietary fiber. Mustard seeds are an excellent source of essential B-complex vitamins such as folates, niacin, thiamin, riboflavin, and pantothenic acid. These B complex group if vitamins help in enzyme synthesis, nervous system function and regulating body metabolism.
THE HEALTH BENEFITS OF THE MUSTARD SEED
* The presence of compounds like glucosinolates and mirosinase in mustard seeds are known to use phytochemicals to inhibit the growth of cancer cells.
* The selenium and magnesium in the mustard seed brings relief to Arthritis patients.
* The magnesium in the mustard seed is said to reduce the occurrence of migraines.
*The mustard seed is said to relieve respiratory congestions.
* Mustard seeds contain certain nutrients that are essential for disease prevention.
* They are a good source of dietary fibres that improve digestion in the body. They make bowel movement better, thus improving the overall metabolism of the body. The fibre content is very soluble and can be readily used.
* Selenium content in mustard seeds provides a good resistance to the body against cancer cells formation. It is known to slow down the rate of development of cancer cells and also acts as an anti-oxidant.
* A number of nutrients present in mustard seed like copper, magnessium, iron, and selenium assist in the treatment of high blood pressure as well as menopausal symptoms.
* Asthmatic patients can receive relieve from asthmatic attacks also because of the presence of copper, magnessium, iron, and selenium.
* The mustard seed contains niacin which helps to lower blood cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
* The seed is an excellent source of vitamin E. Vitamin E is a powerful lipid soluble antioxidant, required for maintaining the integrity of cell membranes, mucus membranes, and the skin by protecting it from harmful oxygen-free radicals.
* Calcium, manganese, copper, iron, selenium, and zinc are some of the minerals concentrated in the mustard seed. Calcium helps build bone and teeth. Manganese is used by the body as a co-factor for the antioxidant enzyme superoxide dismutase. Copper is required in the production of red blood cells. Iron is required for the red blood cell formation and cellular metabolism.