Your biological age is how time and your lifestyle have affected your organs and cells compared to other people of your chronological age.The signs that show that you are ageing biologically are seen in the changes in the physical structure of the body as well as changes in the performance of motor skills and sensory awareness. This means that you can have the body and health of a younger person though you are much older. Also you can have the body and health of an older person though you are much younger. Their is a direct link between our lifestyles and the healthy choices we make and our biological age. Healthy living leads to slow ageing, while unhealthy lifestyles lead to faster ageing.
WHAT IS THE FUNCTION OF OUR BIOLOGICAL AGE
By taking interest in your biological age, you can begin to make changes that would help slow down the ageing process. A good place to start is to take an inventory of your life and health habits. We need to create a life that is supportive of good health by ensuring that we take a healthy diet, exercise regularly, and avoid unhealthy habits like smoking, excessive alcohol intake, and the likes. It is important to know our biological age for several reasons ;
A person's biological age is a better measure for determining a person's health than the chronological age. Health problems can be slow in showing up in form of symptoms. Our bodies are supposed to heal themselves and make allowances for deficiencies for a long time before it is overcome and it succumbs to disease. But we can detect this much earlier and make changes if we find out our biological age.
FACTORS THAT DETERMINE OUR BIOLOGICAL AGE
* Heredity - just as disease runs in families, so does longetivity.
* Location - Living in an environment where there is longetivity is contagious because you are likely to inculcate healthy habits.
* Your eating habits.
* Your exercise habits.
* Your stress level.
* How well you sleep.
* Your blood pressure.
* Your resting heart rate.
* Muscle strength.
WHAT CHANGES CAN WE MAKE TO REDUCE OUR BIOLOGICAL AGE AS WELL AS SLOW DOWN THE AGEING PROCESS.
* Take better care of your health. Go for regular medical check- ups to detect functional problems before they manifest themselves as disease. Your blood pressure and blood sugar level should be checked regularly. This enables you to make changes in your diet and lifestyle before problems develop.
* Minimize stress. Excessive stress places strain on our immune system, affects our hormones adversely, slows our metabolism level and increases our fat storage rate. Reduce your stress level, and practise relaxation techniques.
* Eat a healthy diet rich in fruits and vegetables and low in fat.
* Avoid toxins like tobacco, pollution, chemicals, radiation, etc.
* Get enough sleep. Try and get enough sleep. Inadequate sleep is damaging to the body and fast forwards the ageing process.
* Take care of your immune system. Our immune system protects us from diseases and infections and is therefore our greatest health asset. Strengthen it with vitamins and minerals.
* Take care of your heart. A diet high in vegetables, fruits, good fats, and proteins are essential for heart health.
* Take care of your skin. Our skin is an accurate reflection of how healthy we are on the inside. Reduce your sugar in-take and increase your intake of fresh vegetables and good fats.
* Take enough water. The importance of water to the body cannot be over-emphasized.Water helps keep the body hydrated and also helps the body get rid of wastes from our system.
* Manage your pain. It is difficult to maintain a healthy and active lifestyle when we are living with one pain or the other. Se your doctor concerning any pain you might be having so that it doesn't get on your way to achieving a lower biological age.
* Balance your hormones. As we get older, various glands such as the pituitary, ovaries, thyroid and adrenals slow down and may not produce at the level it used to. This can accelerate both physical and mental ageing.Replacement with natural hormones can slow down ageing.
If we eat well, exercise regularly, handle stress well, drink less and sleep well, we are sure to be healthier and thus younger than our chronological age.