Tuesday, 20 January 2015
HEALTH BENEFITS OF LOVE
To love and be loved is certainly a good feeling. We all long for love and this begins from when we are babies and it continues till we reach our senior years. No matter how one looks at it, love is like air that we all thrive on. The surprise is that it has been proven that apart from its physical benefits, there are several medical benefits of love.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF LOVE
· STRESS REDUCTION. Love can be a very effective way of reducing stress. When in an intimate relationship, the adrenaline glands produces a hormone that acts as a stress buster.
A passionate relationship relieves tension, reduces negative energy and produces a sense of well- being . Furthermore, the support of someone who loves you can help you cope better when you are facing a stressor.
· PROMOTES MENTAL HEALTH. The calming effect of the hormone that acts as a stress buster over the mind and body raises the growth of nerves, which results in an improvement in our memory.
· ANTI –CANCER EFFECT. Research shows that married people have been found to have lower cancer rates than singles. For example, research found out that ovarian cancer patients who had a strong and satisfying relationship with their partners develop more white blood cells which are desirable in killing cancerous cells.
· REDUCTION IN FEELING PAIN. Love results in more activation of chemicals in the part of the brain that keeps pain under control. A study confirmed that married people were less likely to complain of headaches and back pain. The happier the marriage, the greater the effect. The reduced stress level also leads to pain relief, especially for people who suffer from ailments such as chronic headaches.
· BETTER BLOOD CIRCULATION. When a person is talking to someone they find attractive, that person’s brain sends impulses to the heart making it pound faster than normal. This results in increased blood supply to the body, thus improving blood circulation to the entire body and stimulating more efficient working of organs.
· LONGEVITY. A lack of love creates a perception of social isolation, which in turn increases the risk of early death by up to five times. Studies have confirmed that married people live longer because they feel loved and connected as opposed to the isolated ones. It has also been found that married people have shorter average hospital stay and fewer doctor’s visits. Marriage is also said to contribute to a decline in drug abuse and heavy drinking, especially among young adults.
· FASTER HEALING. Research has found that wounds heal faster in people who are in a loving relationship .Blister wounds heal nearly twice as fast in couples who were happy and calm compared to those who appeared hostile or depressed.
· LOOKING YOUNG. Dehydroepiandrosterone acts as an anti-aging hormone which produces feelings of youth and vitality. Also the increased blood -flow to the skin due to the endorphins produced by the body when in love, helps keep the skin soft and smooth and reduce the development of wrinkles.