Sunday, 15 February 2015
HEALTHY TIPS FOR DIABETIC PATIENTS
Diabetes mellitus is a situation whereby sugar builds up in the blood stream instead of the cells of the body. It is caused by a deficiency in the secretion of insulin. The human body contains a gland called the pancreas. This gland secrets digestive enzymes and vital hormones that regulate the amount of sugar in the bloodstream. The most well known of these hormones is the INSULIN. The food we eat is converted into a form of sugar known as glucose. Insulin in the body allows glucose to leave the blood stream and enter the body cell where it is utilized.
Insulin is like the ‘doorman’ that escorts sugar from the blood stream into the cells. When it is working correctly, the sugar that comes down the blood stream can go right into the cells of the body. When this does not happen, sugar builds up in the blood, unable to enter the cells. The end result of this is diabetes mellitus.
Diabetes is of two types: Type 1 diabetes is a condition where the pancreas cannot make insulin. The type 2 diabetes is a condition where the pancreas is producing more insulin than is normal. The cells are resistant to the insulin because the insulin receptors on the surfaces of the cells are not functioning properly.
· Frequent urination.
· Extreme thirst.
· Increased appetite
· Repeated hard to heal infections of the skin, gum, vagina, etc.
· Blurred vision.
· Loss of feeling in the hands or feet.
The following health tips could be of help to diabetic patients:
· Reduce diets rich in carbohydrates which are easily converted into starch.
· Reduce diets rich in protein which are easily converted into saturated fat.
· Increase the in-take of fiber which can be gotten from vegetables and fruits.
Another important way to control diabetes through nutrition is to increase the fiber in your diet. If you have diabetes, most of the carbohydrate calories you eat should come from fruits and vegetables. Fruits and vegetables contain large amounts of fiber.
Exercise is very beneficial for a diabetic patient because:
· Exercise helps muscles to take up glucose from the blood stream and use it for energy which in turn reduces the sugar level.
· Exercise prevents sugar from accumulating in the blood by burning calories.
· Exercise helps to control weight which is a major treatment to type 2 diabetes.
· It makes you feel calm and have a sense of well- being.
You should consult your doctor before starting any exercise programme. You can begin with walking briskly three to four times a week for at least twenty minutes. Choose an exercise activity that you truly enjoy, walking is only a suggestion. Exercise is one of the major way to overcome both type 1 and type 2 diabetes.
Many cases of diabetes are directly linked to obesity. Weight control is a powerful key to the prevention of diabetes. Type 2 diabetes is directly linked to obesity and diets rich in saturated fats. It is strongly advised that one should lose weight to prevent diabetes. If you already have diabetes, weight control is absolutely essential.
· Reduce the in- take of high starch foods or better still, eliminate them completely.
· Avoid all simple sugar foods such as candies, cookies, cakes, pies, and doughnuts.
· Increase your in-take of non- starchy vegetables such as spinach, lettuce, cabbage, broccoli, green beans, etc.
· Choose healthy proteins such as fish.
· Select healthy fats such as nuts, avocado, coconut, walnuts, etc.
· Eat three meals a day consisting of fruit, non-starchy vegetables and good fat.
· Avoid dangerous fats .
· Consume less of processed food.