Friday, 5 December 2014
Cucumbers, like other squash members are best harvested young, tender and just short of reaching maturity; at the stage when they taste sweet, have crunchy texture and unique flavour. If left to full maturity, the fruit continues to grow in size, its skin becomes tougher and turns yellow while its seed become hard and inedible. Fresh Cucumbers are available throughout the season and can be eaten raw in vegetable salads or juicing.
NUTRITIONAL BENEFITS OF CUCUMBERS
1. It is one of the very low calorie vegetables providing just 15 calories per 100g.
2. It contains no saturated fats or cholestrol.
3.Cucumber peel is a good source of fiber that helps reduce constipation and also offer some protection against colon cancer through elimination of toxic wastes from our system.
4. As a good source of potassium, it is good in the control of blood pressure.
5. Cucumbers contain anti-oxidants like carotene, vitamin a and c, zea-xanthin and lutein. These compounds help act as protection against free radicals and this plays a role in the aging process.
6. Cucumbers are known to contain three lignans ;lariciresinol, pinoresinol and secoisolariciresinol which research has proved to have a connection with reducing the risk of cancers like breast, ovarian, uterine and postate cancers.7. Research has shown that Cucumbers is instrumental in the area of bone mass building because of its high content of vitamin c.
8. It promotes joint health, relieves gout and arthritis pain.
9. Cucumbers contain silica which helps to strengthen connective tissues.
10. They contain vitamins A, B1, B6 , C AND D, folate, calcium, magnesium and potassium which are known to lower uric acid levels.
11. It helps cut the neuronal damage in the brain in the case of Alzheimer patients.
12. A slice of cucumbers taken and pressed to the roof of the mouth kills bacteria in the mouth and helps to reduce bad breath.
13. Diabetic patients will find Cucumber very helpful. Its juice contains a hormone which is needed by the cells of the pancrease for the production of insulin which is beneficial to them.
14. Cucumbers contain 50 grams of water. This helps to hydrate the body.
On the whole, Cucumbers contain three major nutritional ingredients; vitamins, minerals and water These three are very essential for good health and our total well-being .Cucumber is a good nutritional choice because it contains dietary fiber that aids digestion, giving your system enough time to absorb essential nutrients that are vital for good health.