Tuesday, 30 December 2014
NECK PAIN IS A COMMON PROBLEM WHICH MAY BE AS A RESULT OF POOR POSTURE. ARTHRITIS IS ANOTHER CAUSE OF NECK PAIN, HOWEVER IF YOUR NECK PAIN IS ACCOMPANIED BY NUMBNESS, WEAKNESS IN ARMS AND HANDS, OR A SHOOTING PAIN IN THE SHOULDER OR ARM, THEN IT IS TIME TO SEEK MEDICAL ATTENTION AS THIS COULD BE AS A RESULT OF A MORE SERIOUS PROBLEM.
Monday, 22 December 2014
Wednesday, 17 December 2014
SOME SYMPTOMS ACT AS WARNING SIGNS THAT A SERIOUS DISEASE IS DEVELOPING. IF YOU KNOW THESE WARNING SIGNS AND HEED THEM, YOU MAY DETECT THE DISEASE BEFORE IT BECOMES LIFE-THREATENING. SOME DISEASES, LIKE CANCER ARE OFTEN CURABLE IF THEY ARE DETECTED EARLY. OTHER DISEASES LIKE DIABETES, CANNOT BE CURED BUT EARLY DETECTION AND TREATMENT MAY REDUCE THE INJURY THEY CAUSE THE BODY. HERE ARE THE WARNING SIGNS FOR FOUR DISEASES THAT IF DETECTED EARLY, CAN OFTEN BE STOPPED OR CONTROLLED.
BRUISES ARE CAUSED BY RUPTURED SMALL BLOOD VESSELS UNDER THE SKIN WHICH ARE USUALLY BY A BUMP OR FALL. BLOOD SEEPS INTO THE SURROUNDING TISSUES, CAUSING THE BLACK AND BLUE COLOUR OF A BRUISE. PEOPLE WHO TAKE ASPIRIN OR BLOOD THINNERS MAY BRUISE EASILY. A BRUISE MAY ALSO DEVELOP AFTER BLOOD IS DRAWN.
Tuesday, 16 December 2014
THE KIDNEY ARE BEAN SHAPED, ABOUT THE SIZE OF A FIST AND LOCATED ON EACH SIDE OF THE SPINE, JUST BELOW THE RIB CAGE. THEY SIT OPPOSITE EACH OTHER ON BOTH THE LEFT AND RIGHT SIDES OF THE BODY. THE RIGHT KIDNEY HOWEVER SITS A LITTLE LOWER THAN THE LEFT IN ORDER TO ACCOMMODATE THE LIVER.
Friday, 12 December 2014
Wednesday, 10 December 2014
A WALNUT IS AN EDIBLE FRUIT FROM A TREE THAT ARE BI-LOBED INSIDE A SHELL. THEY ARE THOUGHT TO HAVE COME FROM THE MOUNTAINS IN CENTRAL ASIA AND THE SOUTHERN PART OF EUROPE.
THERE ARE AT LEAST, 30 DIFFERENT TYPES OF WALNUTS. THE THREE MOST POPULAR ONES ARE; THE ENGLISH OR PERSIAN WALNUT, THE BLACK WALNUT, AND THE WHITE OR BUTTERNUT WALNUT.
Tuesday, 9 December 2014
THE MAIN SOURCE OF SODIUM IN OUR DIET IS SALT. IT CAN COME FROM SODIUM GLUTAMATE AND SODIUM CHLORIDE AND IS USED AS A CONDIMENT IN MANY PARTS OF THE WORLD.
Monday, 8 December 2014
INTELLIGENCE CAN BE DESCRIBED AS THE ABILITY TO PERCEIVE , RETAIN KNOWLEDGE OR INFORMATION AND APPLY IT TO ONESELF OR OTHER INSTANCES OF KNOWLEDGE. IT IS THE ABILITY TO LEARN OR UNDERSTAND THINGS OR TO DEAL WITH NEW OR DIFFICULT SITUATIONS.
Friday, 5 December 2014
Thursday, 4 December 2014
High blood pressure is when the force of your blood pushing against the walls of your arteries is 140/90 or higher. This is the systolic over the diastolic pressure.
Monday, 1 December 2014
According to the world health organization, Ebola is a killer disease that is spread through body secretions such as Sweat, Blood, Saliva, Mucous, Breast secretion, Tears, Urine, And sexual intercourse with an infected person.
Sunday, 30 November 2014
Uncontrolled anger can take a toll on both our health and relationships. Consider these ten anger management tips;
Monday, 9 June 2014
* Remain curious about life and be or become passionate about causes. This will stimulate your brain.Being curious and passionate is a good way of keeping mentally alert.
*It is believed that older people are more emotional and show their emotions more openly, weeping more readily and being more sentimental. Expressing their emotions more openly keeps them healthier.
Sunday, 8 June 2014
Friday, 6 June 2014
Monday, 2 June 2014
Saturday, 31 May 2014
Wednesday, 28 May 2014
The following side- effects have been associated with the use of the oral contraceptive pills.
1. Ache- This increases in some women who take the pill.
2. Blood pressure- About one woman in every 20 taking the pill experiences a small rise in blood pressure.
3. Depression/ mood changes.
4. Headaches/ migraine.
Tuesday, 27 May 2014
In men and women, four sexual problems occur. In men the problems are 1. Inhibited sexual desire. 2. Premature ejaculation 3. Retarded ejaculation and 4. Erectile failure.
Wednesday, 21 May 2014
As people grow older, they begin to lose bone and the bones become brittle. Women lose bone more rapidly than men, particularly in the 5-10 years after menopause. Osteoporosis which is a thinning of the bones has become a major health problem.
Monday, 19 May 2014
Friday, 16 May 2014
Thursday, 15 May 2014
Sunday, 11 May 2014
Saturday, 10 May 2014
Sunday, 4 May 2014
This is a form of eating disorder where a person relentlessly pursues the desire to be thin. The individual fears becoming fat and may exaggerate the size of her body when she looks in the mirror. She therefore exercises excessively and restricts her food intake to the point of self starvation.
Saturday, 3 May 2014
Most women experience some sort of discomfort during their menstrual period but in dysmenorrhoea, the discomfort is marked with excessive pain which is enough to affect the woman's daily activities.
Wednesday, 30 April 2014
It is important to know the real sources of happiness and how to attain it.One of the ways to achieve happiness is when our desires are fulfilled. For example, when we are hungry and find something to eat especially if it is something we like, we are bound to fill happy .Also, if we love someone we will desire to be with that person and when we finally do, we feel happy.
Tuesday, 29 April 2014
Apart from cigarette smoking, there are other forms of smoking that are as damaging. They are;
1. Hand rolled tobacco - this can be very dangerous because they do not comply with any standards.
Saturday, 26 April 2014
Tuesday, 22 April 2014
Drug addiction however can be described as an overpowering desire or need to continue taking a drug and to obtain it by any means.Drug addiction is a condition in which the user has a tendency to increase the dose.In drug addiction, the user has a psychological and usually physical dependence on the effects of the drug.
Drug addiction is associated with '' abstinence syndrome'' with symptoms of acute distress when the drug is withdrawn, When a person is psychologically or physically addicted to a drug, he will experience ''withdrawal symptoms'' when he stops taking the drug. Withdrawal symptoms for drug addicts may include yawning,runny nose, tears, sweating, loss of appetite, trembling, goose flesh, abdominal cramps, insomania, restlessness, vomiting, diarrhea and weight loss.The drug actually becomes a part of the cell structure of the body. The addict comes to depend on the drug in order to function normally. The other factor is psychological dependence which may be more difficult for a drug addict withdrawing from a drug.
WHY PEOPLE TAKE DRUGS
1. As an escape- drugs help some people forget that they are lonely, depressed, unhappy, unemployed or poor. Some people claim that they offer an alternative when reality has become too threatening.
2. Because of peer pressure- If your friends take drugs, it can be very difficult for you to resist.People are afraid to be different.
3. Some people want to be different- Some think drug taking makes them different from every one else. It can be a way of asserting independence from parents, perhaps a way of hitting back at them.
4. Because they want to, despite the dangers.
5. Because they are addicted- they are unable to stop taking the drug.
DANGERS OF TAKING DRUGS
1. Having an accident while under the influence of drugs.
2. Some drugs may depress or stop breathing.
3.Accidental overdose may lead to unconsciousness or even death.
4. They can bring on confusion or frightening hallucinations.
5. They can cause unbalanced emotions or more serious mental disorders.
6. A first time user can become violently sick.
7. A person that uses drugs regularly may become constipated and women may cease menstruating.
8. There may be serious mental and physical effects later.
9. If a drug user starts to inject his or herself, infections leading to sore, abscesses,jaundice, blood poisoning and even hiv may follow.
Although people may use drugs to try to escape from their problems, it is not really helpful. The best way to really solve problems rather than escape from them is to confront them head on and if necessary get help.
The recommended exercises for maintaining a healthy life is called aerobic exercises. Brisk walking for 30 minutes each day, 3 to 4 days a week, cycling, swimming and jogging are all forms of aerobic exercises. Below are some of he benefits of aerobic exercises to our health;
1.Reversal of acidity ; exercises make the body to shake leading to movements within and without the cells. This movement causes a faster circulation of blood, increases flow of blood in the blood vessels and of water in and out of the cells which in turn ensures that the wastes from the cells get eliminated faster.These acidic wastes no longer accumulate in and around the cells and the tissues become alkaline.
2. Increases the rate of breathing and with the increased blood circulation, more oxygen gets to the cells and carbondioxide is eliminated from the body faster.
3. Reduction of blood pressure; exercise helps to build up the muscles of the heart, making the heart to pump more blood with less effort and efficiently. Capillaries that were shut down because of dehydration open up and with the formation of new capillaries as one exercises, more nutrients and oxygen are supplied to the growing muscle bulk.
4. Helps stabilize blood sugar level in diabetics; as the muscles do more work, they will require more glucose for the production of more energy. As the demand for glucose rises, less glucose becomes available in the blood for insulin to move into the cells for storage.There is improved sensitivity to insulin, working effectively to move glucose from the blood into the cells whenever the need arises.
5. Exercises increases sweating; There are millions of sweat glands in the skin and by sweating the body gets rid of certain toxic wastes. This is one of the ways that the body is detoxified and rendered alkaline.
5. Increases lymphatic flow ; The lymphatic system is made up of very tiny vessels which run side by side with the small arteries and veins. In these vessels is the lymphatic fluid that empties into the lymph nodes regionally located to serve corresponding parts of the body. The lymphatic system unlike the circulatory system has no pump to drive its fluid. It therefore depends on the contraction and relaxation of the muscles to move the fluid along the lymphatic vessels.With exercise, there is increased contraction of the muscles and this in turn ensures increased performance of the lymphatic system.